Saturday, February 12, 2011

Culture Shock

One similarity which all city dwellers have in common, is the fact that walking is one of their main sources of transportation. Having never traveled outside the United States, I can only compare the differences in walking and driving culture between New York City and San Francisco. The phrase "pedestrians have the right of way" has two entirely different definitions in each city.

In New York City, pedestrians are expected to protect themselves from distracted drivers. Whereas, in San Francisco, drivers make an increased effort to lookout for pedestrians, and furthermore, give them the right of way. Although I wouldn't endorse this, in San Francisco, a pedestrian could walk blindly through a 4 way stop intersection with little fear of physical harm. On the other hand, if you tried this in NYC, you would probably be dead on your first attempt.

Being born and raised around NYC, I was accustom to allowing cars pass through intersections ahead of me while walking. After visiting San Francisco, I was surprised how nearly every car would wave me through the crosswalk.

Some of these differences can be attributed to New Yorkers' eternal rush to get somewhere. Alternatively, San Franciscans are known to have much more laid back personalities. Whatever the case is, watch your back New Yorkers, or you'll get run down!

1 comment:

  1. It's funny how you mention the New Yorker's eternal rush to get somewhere. There really is no other place like New York because we really do rush to get everywhere. Everything must be done fast as well. I even run through Port Authority Bus Terminal and get angry when people are walking slowly in front of me. The funniest part is half the time I don't even need to go anywhere I'm just rushing cause I'm used to it. I think there is no other place in the world that has the vibe and momentum.

    ReplyDelete