Viewing vision as one of the determinants of success is something I had never done before. "The Power of Vision" opened my eyes to the importance of envisioning my future. The most memorable part of the video was when a group of young, underpriviledged, inner city children were offered a full ride through college. One simple vision, planted in the minds of a group of children nearly doubled their high school graduation rate and college admittance rates. I think this is a prime example illustrating that with vision comes success. After watching this short film, I realized that I had a few visions myself, but each of them needed to be refined.
With respect to my education and career, I have broken down my future into three different segments.
First, I need to educate myself in the broad field of finance and investing. This step will enable me to choose a career path which most interests me. At this point, it is hard to be specific with the details of my career, but one thing I know is that I want to end up in the field of investing.
Second, I need to gain experience. I plan to “get my foot in the door” with a summer internship. An internship will allow me to further my education in an environment not offered at Baruch. I think one of the biggest problems with my current education is the fact that everything is “theoretical.” In order for me to truly learn about my field of study, I will need experience.
Lastly, after I find something I’m both interested in and motivated to do, I plan on furthering my education to a point where I can thrive. Whether this means simply studying “in the field” or continuing my formal education is to be decided. But by immersing myself in a specific field of study, like investing, I can become an expert. I feel that success comes from knowing what you want to do in life, and then doing it. I vaguely know what I want to do; the rest is for my own discovery.
An internship will definitely be beneficial for you. I just completed an internship over the winter and it was a worthwhile experience. You really get to see what it's like in the real world!
ReplyDeleteGood goals. Very short term, which is good because it is very specific. Each of your visions revolve around each other which is smart since it is through completing one of your visions that enable to move on to the next one.
ReplyDeleteTruely, the first step is to know what you want. You are already on the right path, doing what you really want to do, invest and making everything possible to be prepered for that and experienced. I was not sure about what I want to study, just switched from finance to accounting, but still???I think every college first should help you find a job and then after working in that field you can decide if you like it or not. Unfortunately, it is not like that and this is why some people return to school at age of 40 because they want to do something else.You seem to be on the right path..keep up the work.
ReplyDeleteIn response to your comment to my blog.
ReplyDeleteIt sure is beneficial to network and be willing and open to learn new things. I have worked in various divisions at my job, with that comes experience and knowledge. There is a saying knowledge is power. Try to gain as much knowledge as possible, you never know when it will come in useful. I always believe in having backup plans, so there is always a plan to fall back on if one or the other doesn't work out.
It will be very good if we can have a carrer which is also our interests. But in reality, so many people give up their interest eventually. I think always sticking to the goals is one the most important characteristics of successful people.
ReplyDeleteKnowing what you want so specifically and knowing how you want/need to go about it to gain those goals is great. Sometimes school and all of this can be overwhelming. I've changed my mind so many times about what I've wanted to do, gone to a few different colleges before Baruch and am finally getting an idea of what I want to do. Good luck with everything if you stay focused its all possible.
ReplyDeleteJames, I was kind of shocked myself when i watched this "Power of Vision" short video when narrator was telling about the six graders who have a little chance to go to college after graduating from high school. Coming from the environment where you kind of expected to go to obtain higher education like university i have no doubt that my path would be any different. I realized that those kids are growing up having a totally different vision of their future. It is really the key to success of life. It is similar to saying "you are what you think you are". You have good thoughts in your mind and I encourage you to explore the field of investment, because it is very broad and I believe that you can find your spot in it.
ReplyDeleteIt sound that you don't only have clear vision to what you want to do , but you also have a plan for what you want to accomplish with a focus on your goal. Definitely experience will add learning and skills to your career and try to get into many internships if it possible or get the one that has a potential of hiring after word. Good luck to you:)
ReplyDelete